..........Myspace Codes An Extraordinary Life: Life at UNSW...

Monday, February 13, 2006

Life at UNSW...

Finally, it's touchdown at Sydney! Here's a sneak peek into my life at UNSW so far:

1st day (Friday, 10 Feb 2006):
Arrived at Sydney Airport around 8AM. A little exhausted since I didn't catch a good sleep on plane (ended up watching movies e.g. Just Like Heaven)... The lines for immigration and customs were crazily long. Luckily for me, I was not requested to open up my humoungously heavy baggage, probably because I've declared my personal medications beforehand. Some JPA seniors were present to fetch us. Had to wait about an extra hour because one of us got quarantined due to either food or a wooden pencil; up to now, we still ain't sure what it was or who the person is... Headed to Malaysian Hall (heck, maybe I shouldn't have applied for Basser College) which is so "homely" and practically everyone's staying in there for the time being... Oh well... Hendra (a 3rd year JPA student) and his gang finally whisked me off to my Basser College which reminds me of a dorm with shared unisex bathrooms and my room's quite small, about 8 square metres, little walking space... Since dining hall is only open for breakfast for the whole summer break, I ended up walking 1-2km to buy myself a packet of bbq rice crackers at a vending machine, costing AUD3.20...

2nd day
Woke up early to walk to Malaysian Hall (at Alison Road) for JPA briefing. Ended up at the wrong junction (leading to Royal Randwick), so called Hendra who sent Fariz to come get me... Spent the rest of the afternoon sight-seeing with the others in Sydney City. Finally got to see the Harbour Bridge and Opera House; the view's breathtaking! Weather is Sydney's so unpredictable; it's hot at one moment and chilly at another; there's no telling... Went to Chinatown for dinner... Ordered fried rice which come up to be a double Malaysian portion! Even the guys couldn't finish it! We should have been informed beforehand and could have just ordered 2 portions to be shared out between 4 of us... Wai King complaint of a sore throat, which probably led to my hellish 3rd day...

3rd day
I went through a living hell, starting from the moment I woke up... Caught the flu, fever, headache and yes, Wai King's sore throat... Vomited 3 times (especially every time I tried to eat some food)... Parents called a couple of times and were really worried. Gosh, I don't think I was ever this sick and lonely! All of a sudden, life seemed so gloomy and I yearned for home and yes, the pampering I get when I'm sick! Could barely get up at all (slept in my room the whole day, which was stuffy and hot without any fan) and ended up calling Hendra (gosh, I must have been a pain in the ass) to help take-away some porridge which he ain't sure if it's up for sale. An hour or so later, Hendra and Fariz arrived with home-cooked chicken porridge which Kak Ina has kindly cooked, FOC! How kind of them! Went to sleep after popping in some pills...

4th day (today)
Got up feeling so much better today. Encik Zainal (the Malaysian attache in Sydney) even called up and wanted to pay me a visit (he heard that I fell sick) which I kindly thanked him and stated that there was no need for all the trouble. Went to get my Student ID processed and criminal check clearing at the Medical Faculty. Walked all the way to Malaysian Hall, hoping to meet some people which unfortunately weren't in and ended up in the computer room, typing this!

Phew! Quite a long story for a short 3 1/2 day period but oh well, Sydney and UNSW, here I come! ^_^

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger enigma said...

Wah...that WK jangkit u the flu ah. Should ask him to pay some compensation for this. :-P hehe just joking. Get well soon k. Hav fun there. Put some pics ya.Btw, how is the weight limit for luggage at klia? 20kg?

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hei,

I'm a prospective student of UNSW. I'm entering UNSW in mid-Feb, 2007.

I'm now looking for accomodations. I just happen to read your blog, which mentioned about the Malaysian Hall. May I know more about it.

Thanks, cheers.


Best regards,
WEE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home