..........Myspace Codes An Extraordinary Life: Of knees and fire alarms...

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Of knees and fire alarms...

As I'm a little short on time, I shall make this short as well...

News #1
On Sunday night, I went dancing with the other Basserians and suddenly, I felt a weird sensation in my right knee. My patella (kneecap) got dislocated and laterally twisted 45 degrees... It felt like a bottlecap that was screwed off too quickly that it went flying across the room... Yup, that was what I felt. I remembered clutching my knee with both hands, calling out "My knee! My knee!" while stumbling backwards. Luckily, Hannah was alert enough to catch hold of me before I collapsed down. Cam (1 of the Baxter med tutors) was alerted and he helped support my knee and cooled off the pain with an ice pack while someone else brought a beanbag for me to lay my head. The ambulance came 15 minutes later (I think!) and strapped me to this special chair with wheels (no, it's not a wheelchair). But as they transferred me from the chair to the ambulance bed, my patella got twisted again but snapped back into its original position. When I reached the Prince of Wales hospital, I was sent for an x-ray and was later left in the Procedures Room. Good old Hannah and John Frew (1 of the med tutors in Basser) a.k.a. John the Baptist (he has long hair and looks like a biblical character) were there to accompany me. I remember being whisked off at 10PM but was only visited by the intern doctors at 5AM the following day... Gosh, 7 hours of an excruciating wait... Got strapped to a splint and went to the fractures clinic today to be told it could happen again and if it does, I may need a reconstruction surgery. Oh no! I don't want a 2nd time! Lord, help me! Well, hopefully there's better news next Tuesday when my 2nd appointment's due...
*The lyrics "I'm never gonna dance again..." from Careless Whisper plays itself over and over again in my ears...*

News #2
The stupid fire alarm went off again last night! Apparently, according to Mitch (the acturial tutor in Basser who helped sent me for my hospital appointment today), it's the rainy season and sometimes the rain water just disrupts the electric circuit causing the alarm to go off... But still! I'm trying to catch up on some precious sleep (especially when the O-Week leaders blared out cowboy songs through the PA system as O-Week's theme is Wild Wild West and started banging on everyone's door to wake us up in the wee hours of the morning; I wasn't spared when I tried hitting the sack after I came back from the hospital)... Ah well... What more can I say?

Life hasn't been treating me too kind ever since I arrived in Sydney but who am I to complain? Care to comment, anyone?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home