..........Myspace Codes An Extraordinary Life: Basser + Medicine = Hogwarts

Friday, March 03, 2006

Basser + Medicine = Hogwarts

I've officially been "down under" in Sydney for 3 weeks and 1 day as of today... Though 22 days may seem a short period of time to many people, the journey I've travelled so far has been a medley of ups and downs. But I've come to realize the marvels of a newly discovered equation and that is:

Basser + Medicine = Hogwarts

Some of you may be scratching your heads by now or pry open your mouth exclaiming, "Huh?!" at this seemingly ridiculous equation. But don't get fooled as I lay down for you the evidence...

Let's start with Basser College, the residential college I'm currently residing at, in case you didn't already know. Basser College is one of the 3 Kensington Colleges (like how Gryffindor is one of 4 houses in Hogwarts). We all share facilities including the bathroom and like how head boy and girl in Hogwarts get bigger rooms and private baths, the tutors here get their own flats and private showers as well. There's of course the ever familiar common room but we label it as The Birdcage here in Basser. And the striking similarity to Hogwarts would definitely be the dining hall which we share with the other 2 colleges: Goldstein and Baxter. We've got long benches flanking long tables plus the portraits of the 3 founders (of course, they're each named Basser, Goldstein and Baxter) plus the badges and banners of each of the 3 colleges. Oh, and did I miss out the lighting deco? (though it will not match Hogwart's "night skyline" with the "moon and stars")... There's also the annual cup and board of honour... Hmm, did I miss out anything? :p

You may now say, "Ok, ok, I understand how Basser is similar to Hogwarts but what has Medicine got to do with Hogwarts?!"

Well, let me first clarify that in UNSW, all medical students are split up into 4 colleges: A, B, C and D. And according to a senior who was explaining how Medicine is so like Hogwarts and Harry Potter, each college tallies with each of the houses in Hogwarts: A's Slytherin, B's Ravenclaw, C's Hufflepuff and D's Gryffindor (which is good news coz I'm in College D!).. Then, we've got similar subjects: Biochemistry (Potions), Clinical Sessions (Care of the Magical Creatures), etc. And then you've got super long names you've got to remember and pronounce out loud such as (I can't remember exactly what the term is) is similar to "Wingardium Leviosa" (the 2 did sound alike). Instead of the long Hogwarts robes, we've got our labcoats and of course, the stethoscope is our wand... Then again, you can't run away from lecturers and facilitators who'll either remind you of Minerva McGonagall or even Severus Snape! So far, I've been lucky not to get any "Snapes" (probably coz I'm not in College A @ Slytherin) but I've yet to attend my 1st Biochemistry session (think Potions) which I may encounter a "Snape"... Oh, and the part that the senior said that made us all freshers beam with pride? "Just like how hard it is to get into Hogwarts and only a selected few are admitted, you too have made the cut for Medicine in UNSW." ^_^

I rest my case.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Robert J. said...

Greetings from New England in the USA. I came across your post because I keep track of news about residential colleges around the world. I often hear students compare residential colleges to the world of Harry Potter, and it was delightful to read about your experience.

Does Basser College have a website of its own? I maintain a list of residential colleges at universities around the world, and I have Basser listed at UNSW, but without a link:

http://collegiateway.org/colleges/

Best regards,

Bob O'Hara (rjohara@post.harvard.edu)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Child of God said...

Thanks for the link. Have linked your blog to mine as well. Was just checking out your blog and finding that it's so much nicer than mine. But then again, that is to be expected as well, since you've done this for a much longer time than me.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Divemuster said...

Hi Jane! If the ID signed looked unfamiliar, think Editor Triple-M from KL. Thanks for the link to your blog and I enjoyed this equation immensely.

Will definately add this into my list of blogs to follow.

Cheers!

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello :D

this is the by far the best internet searching coincidence i've had so far.

I'm from Brissy, AUS,
nearly finishing up year 12,
and applying for medicine in UNSW :P

and right now, am looking at the different Kensington colleges.


I was already leaning towards Basser... is this the right choice?

anything you'd like to say to sway me?

(i.e. Goldstein is slytherin, and have some unapproachable Draco..) :P

looking forward to hearing from u,

sarah

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Shih Ying GUN (Jane) said...

Hi Sarah! All the best for your HSC! I look forward to seeing you in UNSW and Basser (should you get in) - is it the right choice? Considering I'm still here despite this already being my 3rd year (time really flies!), what would you say? =P Plus, you mentioned that you yourself are swayed towards this option - follow your gut instinct! ^_^ If you want to ask more questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them: just make sure you leave some sort of contact like an email address or a blog URL...

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey!
My name is Evelyn, am a Malaysian. I will be starting medicine at UNSW this year and got a place at Basser College.
I was searching for information and pictures about Basser College, wanting to know its condition since it is an old building. hehe..
Do u still reside in Basser College? How was ur experience so far? From what i read.. it has been great, experiencing God alongside as well ya?
If you don't mind.. can i hav ur email address? i hav some questions to ask relating first year.. for example should i get my books here or in aus, should i bring my labcoat and formal wear? any advice for first year med students?
hope to hear from u soon!

p/s: btw, did u study in DJ? ur name sounds familiar and u look familiar as well!! i think pn mary ann told us bout u..If u were a DJ student, I am ur junior.

evelyn=]

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Shih Ying GUN (Jane) said...

Hi Evelyn! I'm still at Basser and I was from DJ! =) There's a lot for me to say in response to your questions - I tried clicking for your profile so I can leave a reply straight at your page but apparently you haven't set for it to be viewed. Hopefully you'll see this reply I left here on my own page. Drop me an email at jane_gun@hotmail.com and I'll get back to you ya? God bless! ^_^

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Shih Ying GUN (Jane) said...

Thank you for your support! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home